Saturday, June 30, 2007

Supreme court follows suit of Michigan....

by rejecting racially based school admissions, (see the article here). Definitely a land-mark ruling, and one that saddens me. What is more sad is the poll attached to the article. I tried to cut and paste, but it didn't work, but the results at the time of writing this post, the answer to the question, "Do you think race should play any role in school admission decisions?," are 16% yes with 14089 votes and 84% no with 72642 votes. It seems like the death toll for Affirmative Action.

It will be interesting to see how institutions tip-toe around this issue though. I would expect some new system based around income or geography to come into place. Just because we deny race in admissions legally, it doesn't mean it isn't a factor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes one think. I have no idea what to expect from here on out, but I do think Bush's biggest impact may be the changes he made to the Court's roster. O'Conner must be crying.

Jennifer said...

Hi Mark,

I agree that the dismissal of affirmative action leaves a gaping hole in attempts to improve education and make opportunities more universal. I think your suggestion of an income-based model merits attention. Before Proposal 2 was adopted, my friends and I lamented the tragedy that an alternate system was not attached to the Proposal. How can we completely get rid of a system without an alternative in place? I thought at the time that at least implementing a socio-economic model might help, however, even that model would not be sufficient. It is important to maintain active dialog about topics like these, thank you for addressing it.