Friday, October 5, 2007

Virtual HS

So, the presentation on the VHS really piqued my interest. I asked a question about employment, because I really was wondering about teaching in a virtual setting. because, I'm sure as everyone knows by now, I really enjoy technology use. It would really be interesting to try to find different ways to connect with students through a virtual setting? Is it possible to create real connections? What medium could you use? Could you create an avatar system (such as in second life) to aid with communication? There a ton of different ways to approach these issues and a ton of potential solutions.

It would be somewhat strange not knowing how your students acted, their little quirks. I feel like it would be exceedingly formal. One of the things I enjoyed in the classroom is how people interacted when forced to. There is a kind of community building happening in every classroom, that I feel would be lost in an online setting.

I was also turned off because when looking at potential positions, there were many, and they were all part time. I get the sense that the attitude is, "hey, you're not actually teaching, this totally isn't a full time job. Which I think is a conception that could definitely be damaging to people wanting to enter this field.

No comments: